Today I will be opening up about what works for me and most of our clients! After several requests, I’m sharing these tips with you in the hope that these are useful and helpful for you too! It’s not only about sharing this information which I am sure many already know, but it’s also about being conscious and sticking to them.
This will be a long one I guess, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible :)
You don’t have to wait for New Years to start planning a healthier lifestyle. If you feel that you need to make improvements to your lifestyle for your health, you’re not alone. Taking time to reevaluate our lifestyles is part of our everyday life!
Here are my top 14 tips that help in enjoying and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
1. Eat seasonal fruit and vegetables! I'm talking summertime apricots, peaches, berries, tomatoes and cucumbers. Winter avocados, broccoli, lemon and ginger. Autumn, passionfruit, spinach and pears. Spring, watermelon and coriander. The benefits are endless! Not only are the fruits and vegetables grown and harvested in their peak season, extremely nutrient-dense and fresh, but it's also a great way to ensure you're getting a range of micronutrients and colour into your diet annually.
2. Make a healthy version of your favourite 'not so healthy' meal! I never met anyone who does not like pizza, nachos or a carbonara pasta. A solid fourteen years into my healthy alimentation, and I can confirm that I have successfully mastered the healthy version to all of these meals! Whether you're up to winging it yourself or following a recipe on google, just remember... you can make a healthy version of EVERYTHING!
3. Get your friends and family on the bandwagon! Having people surrounding you who not only support your healthy eating but share and take part in it with you is literally the best! Surround yourself with people who support you and bring out the best version of you!
4. Be prepared and organised! Now I don't mean #mealprep #bodybuilding, I just mean stock your cupboard and fridge full of healthy ingredients and snacks! I know if I'm ever craving a sugary snack and I open the fridge or cupboard to see a variation of fresh fruit, I'll immediately crave that... instead of skittles. Fill up on fruit, vegetables, nuts and other whole food snacks so you simply won't even have room for unhealthy options!
5. Research, learn, discover and explore. When learning more about the impact food has on our bodies, we renew the sense of determination, motivation and appreciation for whole foods. Never stop learning, exploring and re-motivating yourself! Seeking professional advice is the best way to go for accurate, proven and backed up information.
6. Give water the importance it deserves! This natural liquid offers the benefits of hydration, nourishment, and improved well-being. Water constitutes around 60% of our bodies. It’s essential for all of the major and tiny processes taking place; lubrication of joints, regulation of temperature, blood flow, digestion, and even respiration. Water can cleanse toxins from the body, improve brain function, energise muscles and control weight gain. Something I always grab before leaving my house together with my keys and my phone is a reusable water bottle! You just can’t not drink water when you have it constantly handy.
7. Don’t forget that our mental health is a foundation of our overall health. When it comes to building a healthy lifestyle, it’s easy to concentrate on the physical aspects of health and ignore the mental upkeep. It’s important to manage and asses our feelings on a day-to-day basis. If we feel negative towards others, we could cause easily more unhappiness at work or in our social life. Some ways that help me improve my mental health include:
-Socialising with loved ones
-Witnessing client’s progress
-Sleeping 7-9 hours every night
-Working on creative content
*If you continue to feel unhappy or even depressed, consult a professional about ways you can improve your mental health. Mental Health Association SMS 79800080
8. Make sure your relationships are positive and healthy ones! Surround yourself with people who support you and who you feel good around. Your partner in life, friends and others who are in your life should respect you. If you find yourself in an unhealthy relationship, take steps to improve it or move on. Agenzija Appogg Helpline 179
9. Get those natural feel-good chemicals (aka. endorphins). My main source of this is definitely through working out. Never underestimate the effect working out has on your body, mind and spirit. Not only does working out regularly make our body stronger and energised, but it also helps our mind to stay more focused. Moreover, it lifts our spirit and puts us in a better mood overall. Integrating workouts into your everyday life doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Scheduling 1.5hrs weekly to work out, out of 168 hours (hours in a week), that is, 30 mins x 3 times a week, is definitely doable, useful and beneficial. Making time for physical activity is a necessity and not a luxury. Seek professional advice for safe and effective workouts. Seek (Seek professional advice)
10. Get an annual physical exam. Depending on our age and medical history, certain lab tests and screenings, such as blood tests, mammograms, colonoscopies and heart tests, are necessary. Staying up to date on our health screenings is essential to identify whether there are medical problems to address.
11. Focus on a good posture! A bad posture does a lot of damage to your spine, ligaments and muscles. Putting conscious thought into your posture and how we walk, sit and carry stuff might take some time getting used to, but eventually, you’ll build up the habit. Maintaining good posture goes a long way in preserving your body.
12. Work smart! For the sake of your mental health and feeling as an individual, putting goals and striving hard to achieve them gives you a sense of achievement, which is a reward of itself. Working smart in this case means optimising your time, approaching work with creativity and constantly learning and improving your methods.
13. Watch your social habits! It’s easy to get caught up in social gatherings and parties, picking up bad habits that are difficult to overcome afterwards. Keep track of your social habits, whether it’s drinking, smoking or any other bad habit, and think twice before picking up any. It’s always easy to start and doesn’t seem like a big deal until you find yourself stuck in it. Be aware of the consequences, prevention is better than cure.
14. Never stop working on creating healthy habits! Consistency is key. Put conscious thought into the habits you’re building, and keep at it until you no longer have to put thought into it. Change doesn’t come from a single time of trying things out, it comes as a result of consistent, persistent, effort. You may find this blog (Part 1) useful.
Step by step, inch by inch. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can feel overwhelming at first like it’s too much work. The secret is to take it one step at a time, and then take the next step. No one wakes up with huge fortune and success overnight. Work on waking up every day one step closer to your personal goals.
Keep moving forward, and when you feel tired, don’t quit. Just learn to take a break.
Facebook: Mariano Farrugia Health and Fitness Club
Facebook Messenger - MF Club Messenger